You are here

Unclaimed Funds Information

Unclaimed funds are monies deposited with the Court by a case trustee pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 347. Unclaimed funds may arise out of a variety of circumstances but are often due to faulty address information which prevented delivery of the funds to the party entitled to them. 

Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2042, any Claimant entitled to any unclaimed funds held by the Court may, on petition to the Court and upon notice to the United States Attorney and full proof of right thereto, obtain an order directing payment to him/her.  

Any Claimant desiring to recover funds previously deposited in the U.S. Treasury as unclaimed may do so by filing:

  1. An Application and Proposed Order for Payment of Unclaimed Funds;
  2. Certificate of Service showing service of a copy of the application and supporting documentation to the U.S. Attorney (mailing address is on the application form) and upon any other party who may have an interest in the funds. If the Claimant is a Successor Claimant, the certificate of service must reflect service of a copy of the application and supporting documentation upon all previous owner(s) of the claim at their current address(es), or Applicant must enclose a statement explaining why the Applicant was not able to do so or why service was not necessary; and
  3. Required supporting documentation listed in the procedures attached to the Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds.

AO Form 213P Request for Payee Information and TIN Certification

IRS Form W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification

The Court will not accept any documents which appear to have been altered in any material way. Documentation should include original signatures and should not be on facsimile paper. Additional documentation may be required under certain circumstances (e.g., original creditor has merged with another entity, etc.).

Questions regarding unclaimed funds retrieval procedures should be directed to the Court’s Administrative Analyst at (912) 650-4100.

To search for Unclaimed Funds for the Southern District of Georgia, click HERE to obtain access to the U.S. Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds Locator national database.